As 2016 comes to a close we often find ourselves reflecting on the good, the bad and the ugly parts of the past year. We make promises to ourselves to sleep more, eat healthier, drink more water, and exercise more. Unfortunately, as the month of January unfolds we often start to forget our resolutions, our one week of eating healthy has now been replaced by convenient drive thru’s, our two week stint at the gym has fallen by the way side and those promises of getting a full 8-10 hrs. of sleep are replaced by work and whatever else occupies the mind in those wee hours. That leaves us to that one last resolution…. DRINK MORE WATER…
We all know that the body is made up of more than 60% water, so like a beautiful plant in order for it to grow we need to water it.
With a little prep work this resolution is actually an easy one to do and to keep especially for kids.
Let’s touch a little on the benefits of water and then I will talk about how we can make water a little more exciting.
Benefits of water:
- Water helps muscles stay hydrated and energized. One of my favorite sayings at H2T is …. Juicy muscles work the best.
- Drinking water helps keep your skin hydrated and looking good. Dehydration makes your skin look old, dry and wrinkled….NO ONE WANTS THAT!
- Water keeps those bowels on track… EVERYONE NEEDS THAT J
- Water helps those kidneys sift out the waste and clears out what the body doesn’t need.
- Water also helps keep you focused, so move over coffee there’s a new drink in town!
- Water helps keep those “I think I’m hungry” pains away. Often we think we are hungry but we are actually thirsty. Always reach for the water
- Before a snack you will be surprised you weren’t really hungry in the first place.
As you can see there are countless benefits of drinking water now let’s touch on how to make this clear less, tasteless, boring drink go down easier.
Tips to make water fun: (is that even possible)??
Room temperature goes down easier… you can drink more…. faster.
- Use a container that’s large than a 500ml water bottle. We use a shaker which holds 3 1/4cups or 769 ml of water.
- Flavor is key…. Take the time to do some prep work. In our house we have a Tupper ware filled with lemon, limes, grapefruit and oranges cut up, (take the peels off makes the water taste bitter if left on) and we plop them in a shaker and just add water. Flavor lasts all day long and we keep refilling the shaker.
- Be creative take your favorite fruits or vegs and just add water. Kids will love it!
- Get your kids a fun colorful water bottle and let them experiment with flavoring their water.
Here are a few of our favorite combos that we drink here at H2T.
Citrus Splash –Lemon/lime/orange and grapefruit
Berry Berry yummy- raspberries/strawberries and blackberries
Apple pie in a bottle- Apple slices and cinnamon sticks
Pina hold the colada- Pineapple slices and raspberries
Berry Minty- Strawberries, fresh mint, raspberries
Spalicous- Cucumber slices
As you can see the skies the limit.
From all of us at H2T wishing you all a very Healthy and Happy New Year! Cheers I’ll drink to that! Until next time Stay Fit Stay Healthy.